Innovative composites with powder incorporation resulting from limestone cutting sludge
The project DUST + aims to develop composites based on stone powder from the residual sludge that result from the processing of limestone incorporating hydraulic or polymeric binders. In the initial phase, a new sludge decanting system will be designed, which will allow the replacement of the flocculant products currently used by others of biological origin. At the same time, sludge treatment processes will be developed to ensure their compatibility with the binders. Subsequently, the compositions for the new composites will be defined, studying and experimentally optimizing the physical, mechanical performance, and durability of the resulting materials. Specific compositions of composites will be developed that allow their application by 3D printing and/or projection. In parallel, new products will be designed and designed that can be manufactured from these composites and interconnected with natural stone elements, such as reinforcement sublayers, decorative pieces, and urban furniture. Finally, the new composites and products will be produced in an industrial environment and subject to an extensive campaign to validate their functional and environmental performance, guaranteeing the pre-established requirements and the proposed innovation potential. To guarantee the success of the project, a multidisciplinary consortium with complementary skills in the critical areas of innovation was defined, composed by SOLANCIS, CeNTI, UNIVERSIDADE DE COIMBRA and ITECONS.
1. Design and develop new composite materials with the incorporation of powder resulting from limestone processing sludge;
2. Conceive and develop a new sludge decanting system, which will allow the replacement of the current flocculant products with others of biological origin;
3. Optimize waste treatment operations that enable the use of sludge in the development of new composite materials, from an environmental, energetic, economic, and operational point of view;
4. Demonstrate the mechanical, thermal, acoustic performance and durability of the new composites;
5. Design folders from composite materials with incorporation of limestone powder residues for projection and 3D printing;
6. Characterize and ensure the compatibility of new materials with natural stone elements, such as reinforcement sublayers, decorative pieces, and urban furniture.
1. New sludge decanting system, whose process is characterized using biofloculants with less environmental impact;
2. Composite materials/pastes based on the incorporation of powder resulting from limestone processing sludge;
3. Creation of innovative products, namely, pieces in natural stone, using the developed composite materials/pastes, based on printing technology (3D printing/projection);
4. Demonstrate that there is a high rate of circularity in new products through the incorporation of limestone powder sludge residues.